Next Auction Date
JULY 12th, 13th and 14th
Frequently Asked Questions > Main
Frequently Asked Questions
Perhaps there is something you always wanted to know about The Salvation Army,
but never knew who to ask. You could be working on a study project or other student work,
or maybe you are seriously considering becoming more closely linked with the organisation
and you'd like to find out more about it. Whatever has prompted your need to learn about
The Salvation Army, a good place to start is at our FAQs pages.
We hope you'll find a FAQ that answers your question, but if we don't have the answer
you need, please contact us directly and we will endeavour to answer your questions as
quickly as we can.
- How do I donate a vehicle?
- Simply call 706-504-2398 or come by our 1384 Greene St location. You will need the title and your driver’s license.
- Are donations tax-deductible?
- Yes. Donated vehicles are tax-deductible. Please review the following information from the I.R.S. regarding the new tax law that became effective Jan. 1, 2005.
- Charitable Contribution Deduction Limited To Gross Proceeds. Effective for post-2004 contributions, if the claimed value of a donated motor vehicle, boat or plane exceeds $500 and the charitable organization sells the item without a significant intervening use (significant use to further its regularly conducted activities) or a material improvement (such as major repairs), the taxpayer's charitable contribution deduction is limited to the gross proceeds from the sale (Code Sec.170(f)(12)(A)).
- Fair Market Value Deduction. Due to a new law that became effective March 1, 2013, donors can only deduct the amount the vehicle is sold for and no longer the fair market value.
- Acknowledgement Must Be Provided To Donor Within 30 Days. The charitable organization must provide an acknowledgement to the donor within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds. Alternatively, if the charity significantly uses or materially improves the vehicle, it must certify this intended use and duration and provide an acknowledgement to the donor within 30 days of the contribution (Code Sec.170(f)(2)(B) and (C)).
- More IRS guidelines for charitable contributions can be found by calling toll-free 1-800-829-1040.
- Will you pick up my used vehicle?
- Yes! Free pick up is available. Just call 706-504-2398 to schedule your pick up.
- What is the money raised from the auction used for?
- Proceeds from the auto auctions help The Salvation Army's Corps Salvage and Rehabilitation Center (CSRC). This is a substance abuse rehab program that helps men recovering from alcohol or substance abuse regain a productive lifestyle. The program involves counseling, work therapy, religious instruction and custom rehabilitation assistance designed to meet individual needs at no cost to the participant. This program is a long-term residency program with 35 beds. Men who successfully complete the program are in residence for up to 9 months. The CSRC program also has a probation and parole referral component; an average of 10 to 15 beds are used for men referred from the Department of Corrections.
- The program receives no government or United Way funding, but for many years has relied solely on the public's donations. What better time than now to donate your used vehicle and receive a tax deduction. We assure you the proceeds from the sale of your used vehicle will be put to good use.
- How often do you have auctions?
- We host three auto auctions every year. Generally, they are held on the first Saturday of March, June, and October.
- How much do vehicles in the auction sell for?
- Starting bids are determined by the bidders. Since the selling price is determined by the bidders on the day of the auction, there is no estimated selling price. There are no minimum selling prices.
- How do I register?
- You may register online at www.salvationarmycars.com or by visiting the auction yard during the preview days. Previews days are the Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday leading up to the auction from 8:00am to 6:00pm. Registration is $5. You must register if you wish to preview the vehicles.
- Where does the auction take place?
- Our Auction Yard is located at our Center of Hope. The address is 1384 Greene Street, Augusta, GA 30904.
- Can I test drive a car?
- Cars can be started, but not driven. During preview time, registered bidders may check out keys to vehicles, start the ignition, look under the hood, and view the inside of the vehicles.
- When can I preview the cars?
- Preview is available the three days leading up to the auction day. This Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday you may stop by the Auction Yard between the hours of 8:00am and 6:00pm to preview and register. On the auction day, Registration is available 8:00am-10:00am, but there will be no previewing.